That’s right. We’re done living in our house and ready for downsizing. There’s lots of reasons that went into this decision, but after months of thinking it over. Weighing the pros and cons. We’re doing it. See you later, house. Hello, 1 bedroom apartment across town.
About 9 months ago, after we got married, we moved into this house together. It was always intended to be a temporary living situation. It was owned by our landlord, who kindly allowed us to live in it for a cheap monthly rate while she was trying to sell it. The drawback is she could give us 30 days notice once it sold and we’d have to pack up and scram. The bonus is of course, cheap rent. For a big space (to us).
Well, nine months has passed and we hadn’t really dreamed we’d be here this long. It’s been a blessing and we saved a lot of money getting on our feet as newlyweds. And even being in a cozy home for our first Christmas together! But, like I said. We’ve been having a nagging, wondering feeling: is this the best place for us?
A couple drawbacks to moving:
- Higher rent.
- No more free laundry.
- Canceling my gym membership on this side of town. Sad. I love it there.
- Bye to our two car garage.
But. We’ve decided: YES. It is time to pack up and ship out. And we’re really giddy. Here’s what convinced us to make the switch.
- Closer to Dave’s work. That’s huge! A 10 minute commute each way instead of a 30 minute one. More time with Dave? I say yes, please. With sprinkles on top. Maybe he’ll even sneak home at lunch sometimes. Also 5 minutes closer to church and 15 minutes closer to our church small group.
- Gas money. Lots saved. To the tune of $55 a month. And less wear & tear on the cars. (See number 1).
- No more dealing with house showings. A nice perk.
- I can nest. Finally! We’ll still be renters, but I can settle in and decorate, knowing we’ll be there for a while. In fact, we’ll probably live there until we buy a house for realz.
- Smaller. Okay, that’s kind of a surprising thing to make us want to move, but we feel spread thin. Like this space is too big for us and a little more than we want to be managing. All the people I’ve ever heard of who downsized their life said it was freeing to live in a smaller space. No yard work, too!
- Waaaay cheaper utility bill. (See number 5).
Sooooo. WE’RE DOING IT. Can’t wait for all the things this new adventure will hold.