We have a very strange front door. The back is a nice, paneled normal door people would have at the front of their house. The front, however, I believe to be essentially a piece of plywood. It is as if at some point someone slapped the plywood over the front panels. Perhaps there was damage needing to be covered. I really do not know.
The makeshift condition of it has made me free and loose with working on it. (Ideally, I could always decorate so fearlessly, but alas, I am both budget conscious and a worrier.)
David and I really like the charm of a red front door. Picking up some bright paint was the only thing standing between us and a normal Christmas season versus a WE-HAVE-A-FESTIVE-RED-DOOR Christmas season. (The door is staying year-round, though. I love it always.)
Since this was not a piece whose condition and integrity I needed to preserve, I had the audacity to only buy a test pot of the color and see if I could get good coverage with it alone. (This would make the project less than $5.)
I half-heartedly asked paint counter man if I could get my test pot in exterior paint to which he said something about it being an “interior-exterior hybrid” that I would normally not let fly for a minute. But this is me rolling with the punches! Who knows what type of paint I put up here! So carefree.
I did four-ish coats, but the last ones got pretty scrappy. I used every drop in that test pot and the coverage is not perfect. Red is unforgiving in that way and also I was, again, paint something slightly nicer than a roughed up piece of plywood. This color is Glidden Red Geranium.
The house has a lot more personality with this. I might prefer the tone to be a hair darker. If we do a second test pot for better coverage I may go with my (darker) second favorite, Behr Firecracker. Overall, I hope the brightness will distract from the horrible Godzilla bushes we need to pull out.
I have been referring to it as the “jewel of the neighborhood” which David says needs to stop.
Happy Autumn! Happy Christmas (soon)!