In the saga of refinishing our staircase, I completed up to the floor of the second level. This left the carpet curled over the top stair, and we were not sure what was underneath. The biggest mystery of laying wood floors in the landing would be how complicated (expensive?) it would be to figure out the stair nose transition.
Oh, staircase. You are always one for mysteries.
The good news was we uncovered a nice wood stair nose under the carpet. This could be refinished in the same way I did the rest of the steps (with Minwax’s American Chestnut).
The obstacle was that the stair nose was level with the subfloor. The hardwoods go on top of the subfloor, which would then make the floor and the stair nose different heights.
This was not terrible; all we would need to do is rip off the stair nose and put a piece of subfloor underneath so it would be the same height as the wood floors.
And again, it was a bonus that there was a nice nose at all. We were prepared for the possibility of needing to go to Lumber Liquidators and trying to find one to match our floors. Instead, this nose already had the perfect cuts and would be no extra cost.
The nose piece was not the exact thickness of the hardwood floors, so we had to do some tweaking for their net height to match. We did not want to mess with the stair nose itself, so we worked on tweaking the subfloor.
With a combination of sawing and sanding, David got the subfloor pieces down to the perfect size to be flush with the wood floors. It is good we attempted to alter the subfloor’s height and not the stair nose’s because we had to do some trial and error to figure out the best way to get it thinned out.
As non-experts and makeshift-ers I was really pleased with how the final transition looked. I told David to just add it to his portfolio as one more cool thing he figured out and taught himself how to do.
It is, just, like, so much better than brown carpet.
Better yet, we are finished with the whole landing!
I am sharing all the photos tomorrow!