GRAPEFRUIT & PISTACHIO CRUSTED SALMON

April 8, 2013 · 8 comments

in Dinners, Recipes

1.1K Flares 1.1K Flares ×

A pretty crazy thought has been rolling around in my mind lately. I want to change my birthday.

Not like, legally.

I just want to celebrate it on a different day. (So basically, just change it on Facebook and notify the 5 people in the whole world who actually know it otherwise.)

My birthday is very close to our wedding day. As our first anniversary approaches, I wish I could space out my impending special treatment.

I’m pretty sure I’ll do it. I’m thinking September – not too close to Christmas or Valentine’s Day. Is this too insane an idea? What’s stopping me? Is there something I’m not thinking through? I just might do it.

Grapefruit & Pistachio Crusted Salmon

Grapefruit & Pistachio Crusted Salmon
Serves 3-4

4 salmon filets
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 teaspoon honey
1/4 cup grapefruit juice
1/2 cup pistachios
1/4 teaspoon paprika
Salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place salmon filets on a lined baking sheet and season with salt & pepper. Add olive oil, honey, grapefruit juice, pistachios, and paprika to food processor and pulse until a chunky paste forms. Spread topping over filets and bake for 12-15 minutes.

Grapefruit & Pistachio Crusted Salmon from Rachel Schultz

grapefruit & pistachio crusted salmon

Author:
Serves: 3-4
Ingredients
  • 4 salmon filets
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 2 teaspoon honey
  • ¼ cup grapefruit juice
  • ½ cup pistachios
  • ¼ teaspoon paprika
  • Salt & pepper
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place salmon filets on a lined baking sheet and season with salt & pepper. Add olive oil, honey, grapefruit juice, pistachios, and paprika to food processor and pulse until a chunky paste forms. Spread topping over filets and bake for 12-15 minutes.

Modified from Aggie’s Kitchen.

1.1K Flares Pin It Share 1.1K Twitter 2 Facebook 4 1.1K Flares ×

Rate this recipe:

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Anonymous September 13, 2013 at 3:35 am

Ok I’m back here because with this I made your bacon wrapped green beans and comments were closed for that to die for dish and I just couldn’t let that be….
So I totally screwed up and bacon was too crispy to wrap so we crumbled it up and threw in goat cheese AND still drizzled that wonderful brown sugar garluc sauce on it. Oh that sauce…what else can I use that on? I wanted to take a straw to it…
Thank you.

Anonymous September 13, 2013 at 2:59 am

Was so excited making it and so glad it tasted as good as I thought it would. Thank yo!

Traci April 14, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I think the birthday change is a great idea, if it’s something you’ve been thinking about. My birthday is Christmas day, and it always almost an afterthought of such a busy day that it got lost in the holiday. As a child it was true as all my friends had a birthday somewhere in there to look forward to outside of Christmas. Once I became an adult, and a wife and mother, I was always so busy “working” on my birthday to be able to savor it, as I was the primary cook for the big day and all the family that gathered. My husband gave me a card early on in our relationship, along with my birthday present, that said with my blessing he’d like to move my birthday 6 months, to June 25. The rest of my family and friends still celebrated my actual birthday, and my husband still gave me a small gift on Christmas. But he’d take such joy in planning a special time for me in June. We were both teachers, so we were out of school and on summer vacation. He’d usually plan a small trip somewhere. The first year he took us to a little cabin out in the woods he’d rented, complete with it’s own hot tub; and on my “new” birthday he surprised me with an incredible breakfast, followed by a knock on our door where I was surprised by a lovely traveling masseuse with a 90 minute massage in the cabin, and then by the surprise fancy picnic he’d set up while the massage was going on. He took great joy in surprising me in many different ways through the year, and I loved having something to look forward to mid birthday year. He passed away 2 years ago, and my daughter surprised me the next mid birthday year with a day of celebration (in his honor).
Changing my birthday turned out to be the best decision ever!

Rachel Schultz April 15, 2013 at 2:49 am

Traci, what a terrific story. Thank you so much for sharing! I will tell my husband about this :)

Patricia April 11, 2013 at 10:07 am

PS your recipes are amazing.

Rachel Schultz April 11, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Thanks again :)

Patricia April 11, 2013 at 10:05 am

Had to tell you, the birthday switcheroo, its a bad idea. For many reasons. First, you were born before you got married, ie, could have chosen a different date for your wedding but didn’t. Secondly, you hopefully will be blessed with children, whose birthdays, are presently only known to God. How do you know there won’t be another conflict? Third and perhaps most importantly, its Your Birthday. Your Birthday. The day of your birth, the day you were born. To celebrate in another month , just so you can get more pampering or spread out the love more is not the point. Everybody was born and on a particular exact day. To your mom its a special day, she might look at the calender and say like my mom used to every year, 8 years ago today…. 16 years ago today… 20 years ago today … i remember what I was doing ! she never forgot, welll its 55 years ago for me now and I sure wish she was around still to remember with me. So celebrate your birthday, and remember ,its not really just about you.

Rachel Schultz April 11, 2013 at 2:57 pm